Resources and Links
For official SARES resources, links, announcements, etc., please check www.sunnyvaleares.org first.
SARES Volunteer Hours
SARES volunteer hours are now reported through the SunnvaleSERV website. SARES members will receive an email monthly from the City of Sunnyvale that contains a link to your personal time reporting page.
The definition of reportable hours also appears on that page.
SARES Net (Mondays at 19:30)
Each Monday at 19:30, SARES meets on the SARES channel 1 repeater, channel 12 repeater, or a simplex tactical channel. Guests and prospective members are welcome.
If you hear nothing at 19:30, please join the SPECS Monday Night Net at 20:00. After the SPECS net, we return to SARES channel 1, typically between 20:10 and 20:20.
- Simplex tactical channel rotation schedule
- Please use the phonetic alphabet when giving your call sign
- Information for prospective members and guests
Net Control Info
The net control script, check-in spreadsheet, as well as the channel/frequency rotation chart, were moved to a GitHub repository.
Forms, Frequency Lists, and Plans for your Go Kits
We have separated Sunnyvale-specific documents from the common forms and documents.
Sunnyvale and SARES-specific forms and documents for your Go Kits are now on Github. These documents include frequency lists and emergency plans.
Please download the remaining documents, including blank ICS forms, from the Santa Clara County ARES/RACES ("County") website.
- County ARES/RACES Go Kit Forms
- Please use the County version of the ICS-213 Message form instead of the "Sunnyvale version." (Notable difference: Field 12, Message)
- That web page also specifies the number of copies you should carry
- You can download all forms in one zip file by clicking on the link, "All Go Kit Forms (ZIP, 4.3 MB)"
- Santa Clara County OES ARES/RACES Frequency List
Mike-Mike Reporting Procedures
The SARES Mike-Mike reporting methodology is based on Sunnyvale Fire Districts. Use the Fire District where you are located when making your Mike-Mike report. Listen for any additional directions given by the net control operator.
Please download the Fire District Map and tally sheet from Github, through the "Sunnyvale-Specific Documents" section, above.
Outpost Packet Message Manager
ARES Groups in Santa Clara County also use the amateur radio packet BBS (Bulletin Board System) service to exchange messages. Additionally, SARES operates its own BBS.
Software Installation Overview
- Download and install the Santa Clara County version of Outpost and PackItForms
- Download and install these SARES-specific BBS config files
- Comprehensive information is available in the Packet BBS Service section of the county web site
- General information about Outpost Packet Message Manager
SARES Training Meeting Slide Decks
- Anderson Powerpole® assembly for ARES/RACES configuration:
- Battery (Cell) Technology presentation (Neal WA6OCP), PPT, PDF
- DMR Hot Spot Options (Skip AA6WK, January 2018)
- HF MUF chart (from West Coast)
- US radio frequency allocation chart (PDF)
Services, Status, and Safety
- AlertSCC - Alert Santa Clara County
- USGS: Recent earthquakes in the SF Bay Area
- Pacific Tsunami Warning Center or here
- Pacific Disaster Center
- NOAA Weather San Francisco Bay Area/Monterey area
- Pollen count - Sunnyvale
- UC Berkeley Nuclear Engineering Air Monitoring Station
- California Regional Weather Server - incl. jet stream maps
- Skywarn - National Weather Service
- CDC: Flu Summary Update weekly US map
- Ready.gov - emergency preparedness
- FoodSafety.gov - keeping food safe
- PG&E Electrical System Outage Map
- PG&E Energy System Status
- GDACS - Global Disaster Alert System